It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:45 pm

Dropzone Commander Version 2!

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Gavri3l

Re: Dropzone Commander Version 2!

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Berjiz wrote:Sounds like it might be a lack of units other than basic troops in the CQB?

The elite units don't change that reality very much. They just make the combats end a bit faster. Once a CQB situation begins, you don't have a lot of meaningful decisions to make other than supporting the outcome by throwing in more troops or giving up and retreating as soon as you can because you know you are outmatched. I'd rather the rolls be simpler, but the tactical choices more complex. Perhaps if you could give your infantry orders that could help mitigate some stat differences while taking other penalties. (For example, a "dig in" order could improve your Armor rating and accuracy at the expense of not being able to search for the objective)

Ideally I want a system where as much of the game time as possible is spent deciding what to do and the smallest amount of time possible is spent executing the mechanics. Right now I feel like CQB is a headache of dice rolling and book keeping with the only real decision happening at the beginning.

Egge

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 10:40 pm

I have a very different opinion. I find the mechanics nice and fast. You can use cards, allocate squads and with planning win the fight before it starts. There are huge tactical choices to deploy your infantry but when they are in a fight they get bogged down.

Skylifter-1000

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 4:45 am

I really like CQB the way it is now, too. I don't understand what difficulties people have with it.

Count your dice, allocate them to bases, roll against the enemy on a squad by squad base, do saves if there are any, remove casualties, done.

What is there to simplify? Yeah, you could make the allocation be directly by squad instead of by base, but then throwing a 3-base-squad of legionnaires in with a squad of praetorians becomes much less useful. So that would actually reduce tactical depth.

And that's really already all that could be simplified.

Am I somehow missing some difficulty everybody is seeing?

Suzume

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Skylifter-1000 wrote:I really like CQB the way it is now, too. I don't understand what difficulties people have with it.

Count your dice, allocate them to bases, roll against the enemy on a squad by squad base, do saves if there are any, remove casualties, done.

What is there to simplify? Yeah, you could make the allocation be directly by squad instead of by base, but then throwing a 3-base-squad of legionnaires in with a squad of praetorians becomes much less useful. So that would actually reduce tactical depth.

And that's really already all that could be simplified.

Am I somehow missing some difficulty everybody is seeing?

Yeah, I don't see it myself.
15-4-3
Nova Open 2015 DZC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, Jan 2016 DZC: 2nd
Huzzah Hobbies, May 2016 DZC: 3rd
Nova Open 2016 DZC: 3rd
Origins 2017: DZC: 2nd
Origins 2017: DFC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, July 2017 DZC: 2nd

I like type 1s and bronze medals.

Novus

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Sometimes, knowing when NOT to CQB can win you the game. For example, Intel Missions. If your guys are fighting, they are not scoring points. This is especially true if the other guy has more squads than you. He can tie you up and then collect with the guys who are not in CQB.

Corruptors/Razorworms are great for this. Throw them down range and put one Razorworm base on any uncollected Intel. The enemy has to fight the Razorworms before they can move on to the next Intel and they get bogged down really quickly.

Gauntlet

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 1:11 pm

1) I would say the sheer number of dice in CQB does slow things down. This could be fixed by just rebalancing the units... perhaps the default CQB of common troops being 1/2 or so.

2) Fortitude is often irrelevant.

3) The rule book's wording on CQB and its given example, is really not helpful... I think the system can't be much further streamlined, but the phrasing really hurts.

That being said, I think a Squad VS Squad and ignoring individual bases would be better.

4) Personally, I dislike that CQB goes on during activation, it halts everything and people get confused as to which unit specifically starts combat and becomes a painful little mini-game, I'd prefer that CQB become a phase at the end of a round... and all CQBs thus happen simultaneously. Admittedly, this actually reduces the tactical choices involving when to activate a CQB, but it frees up these squads to do more things on the turn if they successfully kill/force out the enemy in-between rounds.

5) A higher lethality rate might be nice. So less dice that are more lethal and result in squads running away more often.

6) To differentiate Special Forces, give them unique abilities whilst in CQB perhaps? Maybe Praetorians and Sirens can search for objectives during a CQB (at penalty) or even attempt to steal the objective from a squad they are engaged in CQB with... perhaps Destroyers can choose to ignore CQB and shoot (they still get attacked, but they are hulking monsters that just ignore the damage they are taking so they can shoot)... etc. etc.

Stompzilla

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 9:08 am

I honestly don't know what people's problem seems to be with CQB.

It's perfectly straightforward and just needs some of the technical language tightening up a bit and perhaps another example in the book.

You just go through the stages, easy peasy.

stevefamine

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 1:30 pm

I can see changing CQB - it's a really hard intro sell to slow everything down

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 8:34 pm

stevefamine wrote: it's a really hard intro sell to slow everything down

It is not reallz slow once you know what you are doing. :?

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

wundergoat

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Lorn wrote:
stevefamine wrote: it's a really hard intro sell to slow everything down

It is not reallz slow once you know what you are doing. :?

Once you know what you are doing...

CQB in of itself isn't terribly complicated but there are a lot aspects that are not intuitive and are exceptions to how the rest of the rule set works, which makes this part of the game quite a bit more to learn/understand. I think moving CQB to a dedicated phase outside activation order would help a lot.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion