It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Getting out of the city

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Getting out of the city

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 4:22 am

I'm a fool for the city!
Fool for the city!

- Foghat, from somewhere in the '70's...

8-)

:lol:
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Major Awesome

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 4:08 pm

Or to spice it up, just be more creative with your city boards. There are plenty of perfectly fine rules in the main rulebook for additional terrain pieces like stands of trees, water, low obstacles, etc.

It's easy to build a 4x4 with the center 2x2 looking like a Central Park area (trees, water, some clearings for dropships, etc). That way you get buildings for infantry around the overgrown area, and a focal point or 2 in an area you need to approach with different strategy depending on how you set it up (i.e. how tall are the trees, are they all the same height, where are the clear paths). The stands of trees I've made come in two varieties, 1" high or 2" high according to the actual trees on them. There's no reason you couldn't have mega-trees that are 6" high if you could find something in the right scale that looks good. It's also fun to have a city for most of the board but one line of tiles as more rural. Or half and half. Or a traditional city for most of the board, then a longer "no mans land" area with sparse or interesting terrain.

Here are some examples of partial city boards we've played on in the past.

This lava board has 2.5 tiles on one side, and about 3 feet of lava with sinking buildings on the left. Yes that's a longer board than usual, it was a fun combination of "open but dangerous" and traditional city. We played the lava like water- skimmers could go over it (it's the future, why not). There were only a few places for dropships to land (the islands I made), and while those buildings had objectives they did not start at full health because they are obviously sinking and weakened. Risk vs Reward. The city area had more traditional objectives/focal points.
Lava Board2.jpg
Lava Board2.jpg (188.5 KiB) Viewed 683 times

This was a half city, half rural board. The rural side had only small scattered buildings, lots of trees, some water, and generally wide open skies which AA loved. It's just a different strategy to use with this kind of map.
Half and Half Board.jpg
Half and Half Board.jpg (169.28 KiB) Viewed 683 times

I don't have a picture handy, but we've also done maps where there were all large/tall buildings with wide fire lanes on one side and all small/short buildings densely packed on the other. All city, but different strategy.

Basically, you don't need to get all crazy with changing all the core rules to make your maps more interesting. You don't need to remove all the buildings and city fighting to make it more interesting. The rulebook has pretty good additional terrain rules already, just add a dash of creativity. It's also a fun hobby project.
~Major Awesome~
Hedgehog schemer, Resistance lover, and on those random full moons when PHR aren't everywhere my true nature as cyborg comes out.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 6:00 am

+1, Major Awesome.

We are truly blessed in our meta.

Wish I could be there tomorrow, but, alas, I cannot. Have fun!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

stevefamine

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 2:35 pm

I've currently built up about ten 1/2" high and 2" long low walls, a half dozen one story structures that look like shanty towns. Considering working on power lines/more suburban ideas for rural works. Adding more to an already long project but I want to have more variation. Enjoying what trees bring to a game of DZC already

Nobody

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 8:59 pm

We gave it a shot in a rural farming village using the Surging Strike scenario.

After the Scourge invasion, farming collectives were maintained by the Scourge for the foodstuffs required by their hosts. As the Reconquest ground on, more and more Scourge hosts were pressed into combat duty, sometimes leaving prepared shipments for a collection that was delayed or never came.

Due to the aftermath of the Scourge attacks on the colony worlds, UCM high command tasked scouting forces with foraging in the agricultural sectors to help reduce the burden on the colonies. In this case, the scouting force encountered a PHR strike team that was collecting food to bribe a Feral Resistance band.

Rural Board.jpg
Rural Board.jpg (87.81 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Rural River Crossing.jpg
Rural River Crossing.jpg (87.43 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Rural BS Zeus.jpg
Rural BS Zeus.jpg (82.04 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Rural Valk.jpg
Rural Valk.jpg (82.37 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Rural Flak.jpg
Rural Flak.jpg (93.23 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Board was thrown together using FoW terrain we had on hand, plus some of the larger trees from 28 mm games. The focal points were the cubes (such as the blue one in the picture with the Valkyries). All buildings were small, except the water tanks and grain silos (those tower things next to each crop field) were medium.

We did not get a full game in as we had to end on Turn 4. We ended up spending quite a bit of time figuring out the terrain types (crops were treated as intangible terrain), and the only time infantry hopped into a building, it was Valkyries and the Eagle promptly removed it.

It went...surprisingly well? There was a bit of flying low (done with rolls). The river forced choke points, and surprisingly, he was able to get a couple of Neptunes and both Tritons across the river (one Neptune and both Tritons did die later on though). He was rather unlucky with the initial encounter with the Starsprites, and was only able to kill 4, with one of his Helios dying in return. The Broadsword accounted for the other one and his non-command Zeus when they tried to ambush him from the wheat field (they didn't even scratch him, meanwhile his shot not only hit with the penalty, but he failed his passive and I rolled a "6" for damage).

We did notice infantry were able to spend a lot more time out of buildings (they kinda had to!) as they had cover to duck into which made them harder to hit, and you couldn't just bring the building down around them in this case.

My opponent was proxying Triton A2s as A1s until he was able to get a hold of them. Here are the lists we used:

UCM:
UCM 999
Skirmish: 998/999 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [998/999 pts]
    • Field Command [308 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak(Squad Leader) [143 pts]
      • Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
    • Armored Formation [221 pts]
      • Katana Squad: 3x Katana [111 pts]
      • Eagle: Eagle [110 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [160 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [199 pts]
      • Flak Team: 2x Legionnaire Flak Team, Condor, 2x Bear [131 pts]
      • ^ Sharing ^ Flak Team: 2x Legionnaire Flak Team [68 pts]
    • Special Ordnance [110 pts]
      • Broadsword Squad: Broadsword, Condor [110 pts]

PHR:
PHR 999
Skirmish: 996/999 points
Standard Army
  • PHR Standard Roster [996/999 pts]
    • Hand of the Sphere [365 pts]
      • Command Squad: Zeus(War Advisor), Zeus, Neptune [232 pts]
      • Valkyries: 2x Valkyries, Triton A1(+Stealth Missiles) [133 pts]
    • Battle Pantheon [223 pts]
      • Battle Squad: Phobos [63 pts]
      • Helios Squad: 2x Helios, Neptune [160 pts]
    • Battle Pantheon [183 pts]
      • Battle Squad: Phobos [63 pts]
      • Apollo Squad: 2x Apollo-A, Neptune [120 pts]
    • Immortals [92 pts]
      • Immortals: 2x Immortals, Juno A1 [92 pts]
    • Pegasus Group [133 pts]
      • Valkyries: 2x Valkyries, Triton A1(+Stealth Missiles) [133 pts]

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 4:56 am

Nice!

Nobody

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 8:36 pm

During the invasion, Scourge forces mostly ignored military bases outside of population centers, pausing only long enough to bombard them until they appeared to be destroyed and then moving on. Over time, these ruins were reclaimed by the surrounding environment. Most of these bases had extensive underground hangers and bunkers, so fleeing refugees would occasionally find them and hide out there, forming the core of many resistance bands.

High command identified such a ruin in the equatorial jungles, but no resistance forces were known to lay claim to it. A reconnaissance force was sent to confirm if any humans were living there, and if so to do everything possible to bring them into the fold.

Unfortunately, the abandonists had the same idea...

Jungle setup.jpg
Jungle setup.jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 507 times

In hindsight, this map would not have been very fair for Resistance. The trees would have blocked off any Leviathans or TS Customs. We should have clumped them up more.

Jungle First.jpg
Jungle First.jpg (67.5 KiB) Viewed 507 times

Units with transports still had an incredible advantage, even without a lot of 6" high cover around the center of the board.

Jungle Scrum.jpg
Jungle Scrum.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 507 times

Apollos had leaped ahead to try to find a defensive position near the middle, but were not able to find one before being picked off by the Katanas and an orbital strike. The Katanas did not have a transport, and so barely made it to the middle of the map after hammering the Apollos, where they would end up being picked off by the pair of Zeus walkers. The Flak Teams were able to sit within trees and threaten a significant portion of the map, but in the end it wasn't enough...

Jungle Bunker Fight.jpg
Jungle Bunker Fight.jpg (61.61 KiB) Viewed 507 times

Both squads of Legionnaires went into a bunker against a single squad of Valkyries. They won after two bitter rounds of close quarter fighting, but both were savaged (both squads were down to a base with 4 DP by the time the last Valkyrie fell).

Jungle Ending.jpg
Jungle Ending.jpg (64.19 KiB) Viewed 507 times

Sadly for the PHR, their commander's defense matrix had a catastrophic failure when the Broadsword was able to send a shot screaming over the lake and through its left torso. It should be noted that this was literally the only failed passive save he had in the game. Those command walkers shrugged off several rounds of fire from the Eagle, Starsprites, and even an orbital strike.

The brutalized but victorious Legionnaires were within the bunker itself, but the two Helios nearby were able to claim it for the PHR. The middle bunker was in a similar situation, where the 12 brave men and women in the Flak Team were not able to hold off the remaining Zeus. The third bunker was held comfortably by the Broadsword and both Bears, even with Valkyries holed up inside.

Readers will notice that there was not a single destructible building on the map, but infantry were still able to live outside of the bunkers by hiding with the various copse of trees. I do think the trees needed to be bunched up more, as noted above this would not have been a fun map for Resistance, and we may have wanted to add some roads to connect to the starting board edges.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 7:48 am

Nice!

stevefamine

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Slowly working on a resistance shanty town/orky scrap buildings, power lines, and fences to add a more rural feel

Previous

Return to General Discussion