It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Dropzone Commander 2nd Edition

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

stormbringer

Re: Dropzone Commander 2nd Edition

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Any news from Hawk, or "the play testers", on when exactly the 2nd ed rulebook will be released?

Just wondering if the DnS feedback might push it into the new year?

Whilst I am currently DnS sceptic, I do have an open mind to playing it and i am looking forward to getting 2nd edition!

killionaire

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Hot dropping is really only a minor fix compared to other things that need change to keep the game fresh and lively. In fact, I think one massive one that can hugely impact the game in a positive way is force org: Currently, most lists take the bare minimum 'standard' options, because they're largely rubbish as to how a game is won. Tanks are the least flexible units in a world of scoring airborne infantry, AA to deny air targets, and flexible gunships that can destroy ground assets if unchallenged (including AA if the gunships get the drop on them, which they often can due to speed and maneuver).

If we wanted to be quite a bit bolder, baseline Infantry could become cheaper in points but more of a force org limit. Requiring more Infantry groups to get more squads, as they certainly do not 'fight' as effectively for their points for the most part as comparable cost models but are needed in large numbers solely for objectives. Standard choices could become more common as requirements to unlock special groups such as for heavies or elite groups, etc.

As it is, open transports has a far bigger impact too on the game than hot-dropping would. People are just being collectively overconservative.

Suzume

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 12:02 am

As a person in v2 testing, no specific word yet on timing.

That said, I know Hawk is shooting for 'this year' but if it became a Q1 2018 thing, I guess I wouldn't be upset. I'd rather they get it feeling how they want, rather than rushing things.
15-4-3
Nova Open 2015 DZC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, Jan 2016 DZC: 2nd
Huzzah Hobbies, May 2016 DZC: 3rd
Nova Open 2016 DZC: 3rd
Origins 2017: DZC: 2nd
Origins 2017: DFC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, July 2017 DZC: 2nd

I like type 1s and bronze medals.

juz

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 6:29 am

Hey I'm on the verge of buying into dzc . It would seem a few are suggesting the Scourge are slightly underpowered (apart from the Overseer)- yes a sweeping generalisation but is this the case and will 2nd ed give em a buff? Just wondering- not looking for Meta, just play for fun :)

ZombiePirate

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 8:16 am

I started out with UCM and switched to Scourge. I've never really felt they were under-powered. There are certain choices currently that are just way better than others but as a faction I don't think they're lacking overall.

Gauntlet

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 12:23 pm

I'd say scourge are fun and competitive... But an overseer is a auto include currently, and don't expect your army to live... Your army wins... And the casualties are... acceptable losses lol.

Suzume

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 1:41 pm

I find the notion that scourge are UP hilarious.

The local consensus is that the overseer is both unnecessary and extraneous to the top tier scourge lists. Also, Scourge are dominant as they come in the East US meta, and considered the best faction, edging out resistance. The trick is to play air scourge, leveraging the versatile scourge air options, and relying on the stellar performance of scourge elite infantry.

This is one of those cases of group consensus likely blinding people to other ways the faction can be played, and I think it skews balance opinions expressed online.
15-4-3
Nova Open 2015 DZC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, Jan 2016 DZC: 2nd
Huzzah Hobbies, May 2016 DZC: 3rd
Nova Open 2016 DZC: 3rd
Origins 2017: DZC: 2nd
Origins 2017: DFC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, July 2017 DZC: 2nd

I like type 1s and bronze medals.

killionaire

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 5:27 pm

Part of the issue of 'dominant archtype' is indeed a meta thing. I think a more radical change is that it's possible, depending on how much AA and infantry an enemy brings, to drown them with so many troops as to basically auto-win the infantry game, especially with high durability troops such as Destroyers and their supporting Raiders and Screamers. After all, if a meta evolves around just '3 squads and 1 elite', then AA or Tanks or Gunships will get much more weight, as will their natural counters.

Armor remains the weakest and least important class of unit in DZC alas, which is unfortunate.

Honestly, to change that would be a major game change greater than any change yet suggested. Possibly by tying reduced infantry maxes to modified force org, and reducing cost of troops a little bit to compensate (as Infantry is awful at fighting ground units, a slight few exceptions like Resistance Vets aside).

Gonefishing

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 12:33 am

killionaire wrote:Armor remains the weakest and least important class of unit in DZC alas, which is unfortunate.

Honestly, to change that would be a major game change greater than any change yet suggested. Possibly by tying reduced infantry maxes to modified force org, and reducing cost of troops a little bit to compensate (as Infantry is awful at fighting ground units, a slight few exceptions like Resistance Vets aside).

I think armour was the least important before Critical Locations became a thing, but now they exist they do boost the value of ground based armour, gunships etc are far better offensively - but you need the armour to hold ground. I think DNS will give certain Infantry units a boost as well when it comes to fighting against ground units, as well as increasing the utility of those ground armour units - so changes have/are being made that increase Armours game role.

Klarg1

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:44 pm

stormbringer wrote:I recall that everyone will be getting the same force organisations chart in 2nd- happy with that. ....

Really? I actually find that kind of disappointing. Force organization was an interesting differentiator for each side.

Ah well. I will wait and see how the whole turns out.
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion