It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Dropzone Commander 2nd Edition

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

farrier

Re: Dropzone Commander 2nd Edition

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 9:48 pm

According to the latest HotLZ, aircraft now fly at the height of the flight stand, anyone else heard this?

Makes the Panther a bit situational

time wizard

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 10:01 pm

farrier wrote:According to the latest HotLZ, aircraft now fly at the height of the flight stand, anyone else heard this?

I think I saw that was for LOS purposes. Anyone know if the aircraft are still flying at 6" to go over buildings?
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Egge

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 10:56 pm

killionaire wrote:Open transports will improve the quality of play, and make the experience more focused on dropships which is great. It also makes empty dropships a target actually with value, instead of what's just loitering about the board pointlessly. I think it's a phenomenal and much needed change that I've advocated years for.

Generally. Shooting at dropship has much less value now. As you can not strand units aa has been seriously nerfed. It was boring. Sorry for disagreeing. But we got dropships everywhere and shooting at them made a marginal difference at best. Since AT can shoot while disembarking they got a lot better and since all players will have a lot of alternative dropship for transporting important units shooting at aircraft's felt mute.

Major Awesome

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 10:59 pm

time wizard wrote:
farrier wrote:According to the latest HotLZ, aircraft now fly at the height of the flight stand, anyone else heard this?

I think I saw that was for LOS purposes. Anyone know if the aircraft are still flying at 6" to go over buildings?

Since aircraft are in a demo game I'm willing to confirm that aircraft LoS is measured to and from the point at the top of the stock flight stand. Aircraft CAN still move onto/over terrain less than 6" high, and end movement on top of buildings less than 6" high (assuming the model and stand can be placed as usual). That means you do need to use a flight stand that matches the standard one for your model.

It is AWESOME! I've felt like more of the buildings actually matter now, instead of just the 6" ones. Dropships can hide now, but still fly where they've always been able to. I've very much enjoyed this, and most other, additions/changes in 2.0.

I imagine this will a lot easier to explain to a new person by saying "it is where it is" rather than "well it looks like it's there but it's not really, it's at this point 6" above the table."

Viva la 2.0!
~Major Awesome~
Hedgehog schemer, Resistance lover, and on those random full moons when PHR aren't everywhere my true nature as cyborg comes out.

Skylifter-1000

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 7:48 am

Egge wrote:
killionaire wrote:Open transports will improve the quality of play, and make the experience more focused on dropships which is great. It also makes empty dropships a target actually with value, instead of what's just loitering about the board pointlessly. I think it's a phenomenal and much needed change that I've advocated years for.

Generally. Shooting at dropship has much less value now. As you can not strand units aa has been seriously nerfed. It was boring. Sorry for disagreeing. But we got dropships everywhere and shooting at them made a marginal difference at best. Since AT can shoot while disembarking they got a lot better and since all players will have a lot of alternative dropship for transporting important units shooting at aircraft's felt mute.

I'm not so sure about that. I admit I haven't tried it, but open dropships are kind of similar to how Shaltari gates operate, right? And I've always felt it was important to kill the right gate at the right time. Yes, the Shaltari player could always just use another gate, but it is about placement, too.

So maybe you can't really stop a unit from being transported as easily anymore, but if that Kodiak needs to get to the focal point next turn, killing the dropship right next to it will be enough, you don't have to kill all dropships capable of transporting it - most won't be in the right position to do so.

And seriously, I never liked those situations where there are 2 Raven As parked next to a building, and because the one belonging to the squad that survived CQB got shot down, now they can't get the objective off the table. I mean, seriously? That other Raven A's pilot is going to say no, he won't transport them, he must wait for the dead guys? That was one thing I never really liked, no matter whether it made for tactical choices or not.

In a game last weekend, I had an objective and the squad's Raven A was still there - but there were some Jana outside the building with LoF to the flight path - now that was a situation that was both tactically interesting and cinematic, so shooting at dropships and having AA, even some tiny pew-pew gun like the Jani, in the right place at the right time, may still be pretty tactically challenging. I had to go to quite some lengths to make sure those Jana were gone before I flew off - losing that objective would have cost me the game, and using too many resources on the Jana might have cost me the game, too.

Egge

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 9:03 am

You will find that there will be many more transports in dzc2. Shaltari are today using much less gates than you will use transports in dzc2.

BlackLegion

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 am

I still think as a new unit there will be dropships which carry only a single APC.

And did I read it correctly? Units who want to walk-on start the game in Reserve (not Readiness). So you have to roll if they are able to move on the table?

Suzume

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 1:28 pm

BlackLegion wrote:I still think as a new unit there will be dropships which carry only a single APC.

And did I read it correctly? Units who want to walk-on start the game in Reserve (not Readiness). So you have to roll if they are able to move on the table?

You don't roll for them.

They just have to wait a turn.
15-4-3
Nova Open 2015 DZC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, Jan 2016 DZC: 2nd
Huzzah Hobbies, May 2016 DZC: 3rd
Nova Open 2016 DZC: 3rd
Origins 2017: DZC: 2nd
Origins 2017: DFC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, July 2017 DZC: 2nd

I like type 1s and bronze medals.

BlackLegion

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 1:46 pm

So with V2.0 walk-on units cant enter the board on turn 1 anymore?

Suzume

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Correct.

I spoke with Dave at Gencon, and it is possible that some units (commanders) may get an exception, but the overall situation is that walking on is strongly discouraged at this point.
15-4-3
Nova Open 2015 DZC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, Jan 2016 DZC: 2nd
Huzzah Hobbies, May 2016 DZC: 3rd
Nova Open 2016 DZC: 3rd
Origins 2017: DZC: 2nd
Origins 2017: DFC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, July 2017 DZC: 2nd

I like type 1s and bronze medals.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion