It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:37 pm

Unit cards

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Abrusio

Re: Unit cards

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 7:02 am

@ J.D. Welch : units special abilities like Invader's "speed boost".

@jgcpalmer : updated the shaltari file with the command module card, updated the resistance file to correct the missing card back

@wowskyguy : yeah I know the font is small, and I really struggled to put everything in there :) I may look into a landscape version, shouldn't be so difficult now because almost everything is automated (I put all the unit stats in a database, and I am using a script to generate the cards).

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 7:57 am

Ravager wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:@Abrusio: What "special text" are you referring to? Can you give an example? I'm a bit flummoxed... :?

I do believe he's talking about the text for the special rules. ;)

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure...

I guess Simon doesn't want that verbiage on the cards because they could change, given Hawk's willingness to tweak rules to continuously rebalance the game, and that would be another place that would have to be edited and, probably, reprinted...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 8:02 am

Thanks, Abrusio!...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

jgcpalmer

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 12:02 pm

What would be great is to see these cards get combined with FFOR, so that the program could generate the cards. That way, whenever there are stat tweaks, the cards would get updated automatically.

wowskyguy

Hawk Talon

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 12:59 pm

Abrusio wrote:I put all the unit stats in a database, and I am using a script to generate the cards

Wow... even more congratulations are in need then! It will quite easy to update the stats when needed.

Cheers!
--
Andy

"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
Admiral Constanza Stark,
C.Y. 9784

Soulmark

PostSun Aug 23, 2015 8:00 am

Abrusio wrote:@wowskyguy : yeah I know the font is small, and I really struggled to put everything in there :) I may look into a landscape version, shouldn't be so difficult now because almost everything is automated (I put all the unit stats in a database, and I am using a script to generate the cards).

I think your cards are awesome, really nice layout and design. Thanks!

Unfortunately, because of the small print, I had to print them out at only 4 per page, and still need to put on reading glasses. I think the font is not the main issue, but rather the standard "grid" layout, while familiar, is not the best use of space.

I put together this prototype to try and explore alternate layouts that would be easier to read. What do you think?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0j8T9TW7AycelB6RHpVeFRla3c/view?usp=sharing

All the stats are there, just appearing in different places, with important numbers in a larger font.
It has some small boxes to recored the battlegroup/squad/unit numbers and a DP checkbox, in case someone would want to print out a card for every unit in their army (doesn't seem practical while playing, but might be useful when doing army construction).
Dropzone Card Alexander small.jpg
Dropzone Card Alexander small.jpg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 8081 times

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Aug 23, 2015 8:22 am

That's very cool, Soulmark.

What does the "10 AC" just above the "A CM" in the lower right corner "down arrow" refer to? I'm drawing a blank...

Ravanar

Hawk Talon

PostSun Aug 23, 2015 9:08 am

J.D. Welch wrote:That's very cool, Soulmark.

What does the "10 AC" just above the "A CM" in the lower right corner "down arrow" refer to? I'm drawing a blank...

The AC is is armour rating or in this case armour class. Seems a hangover from other systems? Or a recognisable way of saving space if you've played d&d.

I think the A Stands for active countermeasures.
"That's a big puppet..."

Sussex UK Talon.

Soulmark

PostSun Aug 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Ravanar wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:That's very cool, Soulmark.

The AC is is armour rating or in this case armour class. Seems a hangover from other systems? Or a recognisable way of saving space if you've played d&d.

I think the A Stands for active countermeasures.

Yep, it's for armor. With better layout skillz, that would be shield, not a down arrow. And yeah, I'm off to a D&D game in a bit, so had that on my mind while doing the card. :D Probably "A:10 CM:A" would be clearer.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Aug 23, 2015 11:02 pm

OK, yeah, thanks.

The "Active Countermeasures" I got, it was the "AC" that threw me. Yes, "A:10" would be better, I think, or as you've got it there, just make it "A" instead of "AC"...

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion