It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:44 pm

Unit cards

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Abrusio

Re: Unit cards

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 8:07 am

Arrathon wrote:Wonderful idea, thank you so much!!!!

I have a question (well, a couple >.<) How do I resize these so they will be a normal Card size so i can slip them into a sleeve to write on with the erase marker? Also, I have never printed on cardstock before. Is it any different then paper? Or should I just use a thicker paper? Thanks in advance for any help given.

It should print just a little bit larger than a magic card (about 90mmx65mm). I have sleeves that fit that size exactly... (I don't know about "normal card size").

I can't print on cardboard, so I just I use regular paper, and put a no-value magic cards (forest, plain...) in the sleeve with a back and a front part to give it more rigidity

Soulmark

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 7:50 am

@Abrusio, those cards look great, but still a bit too small for my eyes.

With your inspiration, I've put a little more work into my layout, including learning how to have Illustrator import text from a spreadsheet to make things easier to tweak. A PDF of the resistance cards are here: https://drive.google.com/a/gyugyi.com/f ... k2Wms/view

I've used printerstudio.com on previous projects. It's easier than printing and cutting yourself, and not too expensive (about $10 per 54-card deck). Here's how they look:

You can read a bit more at my blog:
http://www.deckagon.com/2015/09/referen ... ander.html
Last edited by Soulmark on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arrathon

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 4:42 pm

@Abrusio I got it to work so very easy!! thank you so very much for this. I picked up the card sleeve's with Dry erase markers. This makes everything so much more organized and cleaner!! Again thank you so very much!
Clean play....or no play

Abrusio

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 6:53 am

@Arrathon : Glad to see them put to use !

@Soulmark : nice looking cards !

Buhallin

PostTue Sep 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Just saw these, very nice work!

FYI, my decision not to put full reference text on the stat pages has been mine. Nobody from Hawk has ever told me not to, and so far as I know they probably wouldn't have an issue with it. But (entirely IMHO) there's a line where my tool can act as a replacement for Hawk's products (rules, etc). It's a very fuzzy line, and one I'm already close to in a lot of ways, but not including rules reference or the full text of special abilities is something I do to make sure I stay on my side of the line :D

I don't swear that that won't ever change, but that's the reasoning behind my decision for now. Honestly, if it becomes something other tools are doing it makes less sense for me to keep it out of FFoR, so we'll see how it shapes up.

Abrusio

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 11:34 am

Buhallin wrote:Just saw these, very nice work!

FYI, my decision not to put full reference text on the stat pages has been mine. Nobody from Hawk has ever told me not to, and so far as I know they probably wouldn't have an issue with it. But (entirely IMHO) there's a line where my tool can act as a replacement for Hawk's products (rules, etc). It's a very fuzzy line, and one I'm already close to in a lot of ways, but not including rules reference or the full text of special abilities is something I do to make sure I stay on my side of the line :D

I don't swear that that won't ever change, but that's the reasoning behind my decision for now. Honestly, if it becomes something other tools are doing it makes less sense for me to keep it out of FFoR, so we'll see how it shapes up.

First thank you (for the appreciation of my small work on the cards but also for the great work done on FFoR)

As for the full reference text, I followed your line of thoughts entirely (you already wrote about this in another thread IIRC), and I also asked Simon about it before releasing the cards and he asked for the same thing (keep it similar to FFoR). Anyway, it was easier for me to stick to the policy you already put in place, as I have no issue not displaying the full text (even if I have a full version for my own use :) ), and I know that some people add the special rules to the PDF before printing...

Personally I don't think having 3rd party tools - if I can use that name for FFOR, cards or any other document or tool - to have the rules printed/included on them would be a nuisance to HWG business (one still need the book to have the rules anyway), but I also think that it is HWG privilege to decided when and if they want other tools to cross that line.

To sum it up : the day FFoR includes full text of special abilities, I will also release the full version of the cards :)

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 3:49 am

I think the reasoning is that Hawk wants to control the text from the standpoint of Erratas. If you include it on the cards and/or FFoR, then anything printed before a rule gets Erratas will be out of sync with that Errata, which would (not could) cause confusion and possibly prolonged debate, which is bad for the game and also slows down any one game...

And while that could be said to be true about stats, it's easier to clear up a stat line discrepancy than it is a special rule discrepancy, given the nature of having to read and interpret a sentence or short paragraph rather than, "Oh, that number has been updated. Got it."
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Abrusio

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 7:36 am

J.D. Welch wrote: [...] anything printed before a rule gets Erratas will be out of sync with that Errata, which would (not could) cause confusion and possibly prolonged debate, which is bad for the game and also slows down any one game...

The same thing could be said about any version of the rulebook (except maybe the very last one currently but this may not last very long) : the most current errata is always needed for playing. IMO changing the cards (or FFOR) is easier than changing the book(s) : my original rulebook is full of stickers and reconquest is also augmented with a few of its own :) . As long as the 3rd party tool is supported and updated of course...

The command cards are suffering from the same problem as well. What if someone not aware of the changes is still using the first version ? Even the opponent could very well not realize the cards are from an old version if not familiar with the opponent's faction...

In this age of regular updates and versionning of everything, we have to rely on people to keep their "offline things" up to date with the online live updates :)

Maybe displaying the date of the last version of the rules on the cards could clarify if it has been update or not (it could be useful even in their current state).

Anyway, interesting topic !

jgcpalmer

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 2:13 pm

Abrusio,

Thanks again for all your hard work on these cards.

I'm setting up for a game right now and just realized something, the Shaltari Thunderbirds are missing.

Could you add that unit?

Thanks!

James

Abrusio

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 2:30 pm

jgcpalmer wrote: the Shaltari Thunderbirds are missing.

Hum wow ! Poor poor thunderbirds, I completely forgot about them :)

That's corrected, you should be able to download the new files from the link in the opening post of the thread right now.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion