It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:11 pm

Alpine camo for UCM

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

Viking_Steve

Alpine camo for UCM

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 pm

I really like the look of the alpine camo in the UCM alternative paint schemes. I've done a few test pieces with my Raven's & a couple of bears where I've used masking tape to make some irregular lines across the vehicles (around 5 or 6 depending on the vehicle) and then airbrushing a slight off white over the green base (russian armour from the FoW range to be exact). Now this is ok, but it's created too stark a contrast in comparison to the more smudged out blending that's in the picture.

Does anyone have any advice on how to achieve this look? Should I be using thinner white lines, and then blending out? When I do my initial airbrushing of the white stripes, do I need to use a more opaque mixture for the off white?

Ghostwolf67

Re: Alpine camo for UCM

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Drubrushing the contrast areas with very small amounts of the the lighter colour may help to give the appearance of a smoother transition and its also a lot less time consuming than blending. It will gain a bit of a shine though as drybrushing does. That might not matter on such a bright colour anyway though.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

Spectrar Ghost

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 4:52 pm

I think it's either sponged or stippled.

The foam the blisters have is perfect for sponging - just put some paint on them, dab most of it off on a paper towel, and lightly dab the model. Stippling is just as easy. Take an old dryrush and cut it almost dowm to the ferrule with scissors, leaving just a mm or so of bristle. Then do the same thing as with the sponging - remove most of the paint and stab it against the model gently.

Nodri

PostSun Nov 18, 2012 2:57 pm

I was considering a winter scheme for my UCM and found a great tutorial here. It covers several methods.

An option not covered is to paint the model fully and then apply a layer of gloss varnish. Airbrush a white enamel paint over the model and then gently remove the enamel with a brush that's damp with thinner.

Currently I'm working on my PHR army, so I've yet to experiment with any of the techniques. I'd love to see what works for you.
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Return to Painting and Modelling