It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:45 pm

PHR Work in Progress

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

Brennall

PHR Work in Progress

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 12:23 am

Unfortunately due to some problems with my eyes I have been unable to paint for the 10 months or so. So Dropzone Commander is my first step back into painting and modelling.

I wanted to begin painting with a fairly simple paint scheme and went for a stark white with satin varnish. I start off with a Tamiya fine white surface primer, then add the metallics using Vallejo Model Air Steel and Chrome. I then Satin Varnish and use an enamel pin wash to put the dark lines in and using white spirit to wipe away any mistakes.

Its a bit late tonight and I had to dig my camera out to take this, I will take some more pictures tomorrow night hopefully.

Comments, Questions and Critique welcome.
Last edited by Brennall on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brennall

Re: PHR Work in Progress

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 9:25 am

Here are a couple more pictures from last nights batch.

White is a difficult colour to take pictures of and as such you will notice some small difference in the colour of the Juno A1 and Neptune. However in real life and the first picture (above) as you can see, the colour is identical.

Juno A1 IFV

Neptune Medium Dropship

I am reasonably pleased with the outcomes so far. All of my models have been magnetised and work with the dropship.

Comments, Questions and Critique welcome.
Last edited by Brennall on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

carabus03

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Looking good, some nice clean paint work and sharp lines. Nice effects with the lenses BTW.

;)

Wookiehair

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Nice work. If you have a problem with your eyes it must be short sightedness, because they look really good :). I have keratoconus myself, but I find a magnifying light really helps (as well as the contact lenses). If you haven't got a magnifying light and you have eye problems (or even if you don't) I'd highly recommend getting one - it makes it so much easier that it feels like cheating.

Brennall

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 2:58 pm

@carabus03 : Thanks. I wanted to do something original, lenses and getting both the Juno A1's to fit onto the Neptune while on the flight stand are it so far. Given my eyesight makes it all a bit slow work to be honest, but I love the models and the rules read well!

@ Wookiehair : Thanks for the comment :) With regard to my eyesight I have Severe Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy, I have lost most of the sight in my left eye at the moment, but have surgery scheduled for next February and am hoping to recover some.

carabus03

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Brennall wrote:@carabus03 : Thanks. I wanted to do something original, lenses and getting both the Juno A1's to fit onto the Neptune while on the flight stand are it so far. Given my eyesight makes it all a bit slow work to be honest, but I love the models and the rules read well!

@ Wookiehair : Thanks for the comment :) With regard to my eyesight I have Severe Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy, I have lost most of the sight in my left eye at the moment, but have surgery scheduled for next February and am hoping to recover some.

What size and location did you get the lenses from?

Also My other half has the same thing just in her right eye, that makes your work even more impressive, hope it goes well for you buddy! :D

Brennall

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Thank you, my fingers are crossed for next february. The lack of depth perception is the real problem when it comes to painting. But these things are sent to try us :)

The lenses are 1mm & 1.5mm greif lenses I picked up about 10 yrs ago in New York ( I was working there for a while). I got a stockpile at the time and still have a fair amount left.

Andon

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 8:52 pm

Do you paint with an eyepatch?

Kidding aside, these are very impressive models, especially given your eyesight. I really like the coloring - It's simple, but very effective.
Owner/Administrator
Http://www.hot-lz.com

Brennall

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 9:08 pm

No .. an eyepatch decreases your depth perception .. and my problem with only one working eye is a decided lack of depth perception to begin with.

I am sure my daughters would love to see me look like a pirate however :)

KennKong

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Those are just incredibly beautiful!!!! Very well done. Stunning, really.
Next

Return to Painting and Modelling