It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:59 pm

Magnets & Bases

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

KennKong

Magnets & Bases

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 pm

I use metal washers on all my figures - sometimes as the base itself; sometimes under the actual base. I use fender washers because they have a very thin profile so they don't elevate the figure much, and they have a lot of surface area to texture, if I'm using them straight-up as the base.

I also use them so I can prime/paint/base/transport them using magnets, so I thought I'd share that here for anyone interested.

I have three different magnet post to prime/paint from. Essentally a dowel with magnet on the end.
I have my light duty post for most figures:
Paint Grip Small.jpg
Paint Grip Small.jpg (27.5 KiB) Viewed 5081 times

A medium post for bigger or multiple figure:
Paint Grip Medium.jpg
Paint Grip Medium.jpg (26.66 KiB) Viewed 5081 times

And then the big one (which is really a converted industrial magnet light-stand) I use for the big figs and priming many figs at once.
Paint Grip Large.jpg
Paint Grip Large.jpg (30.83 KiB) Viewed 5081 times

KennKong

Re: Magnets & Bases

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 pm

I like using a magnet post and washer, so I can maniuplate the figure during painting and easily move from fig to the next, if I'm assembly line painting one of a lot of color across many figs.

Plus, with having a metal washer on the base/as the base, I can use magnets to store and travel with the figs:
Attachments
Big Boy Storage.jpg
Big Boy Storage.jpg (31.92 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
Fig Carry Case B.jpg
Fig Carry Case B.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
Fig Carry Case A.jpg
Fig Carry Case A.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 5077 times

KennKong

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 pm

I use HVAC duct end caps and basic craft magnets to use as carrying trays in standard plastic carryall boxes. Makes it easy to offload and upload the figs for games.

Here's how I store all my figs:
Attachments
Storage.jpg
Storage.jpg (32.33 KiB) Viewed 5077 times

KennKong

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Here's how my DZC figs get transported:
Transport Tray Full.jpg
Transport Tray Full.jpg (40.09 KiB) Viewed 5076 times

No worries about droppin' 'em!
No Worries.jpg
No Worries.jpg (26.95 KiB) Viewed 5076 times

Wookiehair

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 1:54 am

That is some nice use of magnets there. While I have seen similar ideas pop up in my local gaming group, your posts here provide a nice summary for those wanting to give it a try. They look like they should transport pretty well too - possibly even better than foam. One thing I haven't used much in all of my previous hobby projects is magnetization. The drop ship nature of DZC has really inspired me to have a crack at it now though, so maybe I’ll give you idea a try (if my acrylic base idea doesn’t pan out). Thanks.

KennKong

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 3:17 am

Thanks, Wookiehair!

I used to use a cork and rubber band: drove a screw into the cork and stretched the rubber band through the legs of the fig and back to the screw, to hold the fig down.

I see vids & pix of folks who use sticky tac and it scares the bejeezwax outta me. I think "I'm sure I'd lose the fig off of something like that!" To each his own, of course, but for me this method affords great access to the fig by being able to manipulate it and method gives me peace of mind that I won't drop it, doing so. (All bets are off when I'm actually gaming with them, of course) :D

I hope folks find it useful and/or gives them ideas of their own!

Return to Painting and Modelling