Ljevid's showcase and tutorials WIP

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

Re: Ljevid's showcase and tutorials WIP

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks for the explosion :mrgreen:

I'm really looking forward to your version of the energy shield!

I had to go to an art supply store to get the right size Christmas balls, but they still only cost about 50 cents.

I thought about adapting the idea for a Shaltari walker. I actually experimentend with a full sized bubble which was supposed to become "shimmering air" where the shield is supposed to be... But to be honest, the first prototype Looks more like a snowglobe... :?

Have a nice Christmas time....
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks to selling a lot of my Games Workshop stuff I had enough money to get myself this little beauty and since I live an hour from where they produce these I brought her home myself...

I think I'll call her Michelle :lol: :lol:

Now I just have to tell my wife about her.... :?
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi,

I seriously need your assistance

This is a (badly implemented) Shaltari color scheme based on a picture provided by Annicity.

What I really like is:

- the dark center in contrast to the
- glowing "cockpit" - compared to the usual shiny black one

- the black/red combination with a transition to orange... Or is it too much like "Flames on a Hotrod".

Comments please -Anything that comes to mind apart from badly executed Photoshop skills ( I made that in my break)

Thx

Hexer

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 1:51 pm

I do like that one a lot though I think I'd try to give the "wings" a frame as in: paint the bevels around them in some other color than the surfaces themselves. Maybe either continue the black as a frame OR do the red->orange gradient as a frame and make the inner parts black or whatever other color OR use an aditional color (maybe something metallic?) as a frame.

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 8:43 pm

Thx for the input.

I have given your idea a lot of thought and frankly: i really like it.

When I tried it on Photoshop there were 3 problems I have to deal with.

If I use black on the inside of the "wings" the gradient effect of the red and orange is a little lost.

The pure black edge doesn't look good either since it clashes with the black/red gradient.

So it seems I will have to mask the inside of the wings when I apply the black on top of the red, which will be a bitch... :?

But I'll give it a try

It will probably involve a lot of swearing and your name. :lol:

Hexer

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 11:06 pm

Maybe we should get together by phone when we paint, I still have most of my own Shaltari to paint (though at least the 3 Edens are done already) and I, too decided to paint the bevels a different color than the inside of the "wings"...I just hope I got some practice back and can be a little quicker and more precise on the skimmers and Havens..... meh.... the Edens showed that it will indeed involve quite a bit of swearing though.

At least mine dont have gradients. Dont have an airbrush and too lazy to try and make something like that look good consistantly by using a brush. My Shaltari have blue base color, red accents and inner wings and metallic bevels (tried white bevels first but white is a bitch...)

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 8:30 pm

So, yesterday I finished step 1 & 2

Step 1:
Basecoat - Vallejo Grey Primer

Step 2:
Airbrushed in this order from the outside in
Val. Model Air Yellow
Val. Model Air Orange
Val. Model Air Scarlet Red
Val. Model Air Black

Any thoughts?

Planned steps:
-Drybrush highlight on the black with a black/grey mix
-Paint metal parts Gungrey &Aluminium
-Canopies and teleport crystal emerald greeen with green OSL

I could mask the vanes and give them a black border, but I have the feeling the model could become too dark and lose a lot of the nice effect.

Any other ideas?

I like the effect, but my girlfriend said they look like the German flag :lol:
Women have a way of deflating you by stating the obvious of which you were completely oblivious...
no wonder the color scheme appealed to me... :lol:

Maybe I should paint the Braves with German football jerseys... Image

Hexer

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 9:16 pm

LOL I dont really think it looks like the german flag. I do really like the look though!

damnit... maybe I'll need an airbrush some day... :roll:

Actually seeing it now I'd say the vanes dont necessarily need bevels in a different color. They look cool enough as is.
If you want bevels though I think I'd still recommend metallic ones. Something in the silver range or maybe even something copper to go with the warm colors but then again that might not give you enough contrast.

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jan 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Another new addition...

Finally done, after I had some serious issues with paint flaking off. The parts of my Ferrum did fit like a glove - that is nice as long as long as you don't plan on painting it. When I did there just wasn't enough space to prevent paint from rubbing off. My solution was to give up on the "everything has to move" idea apart from where I really wanted it (the runway). There I cut off as much as possible to give the moving parts more room and put on a layer of water effect on top as xtra protection.

Seems to work (till now) ;)

Regards

Hexer

PostMon Jan 26, 2015 4:06 pm

Wow! Very nice and clean painting! :)
Looks really really good!
PreviousNext

Return to Blogs and Tutorials