It is currently Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:47 am

Kodiak Walkthrough

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Bistromatic

Hawk Talon

Kodiak Walkthrough

PostFri Nov 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Here’s long promised tutorial/walkthrough on my kodiak. I didn’t originally intend to do one so the photo coverage is basically what i could scrounge together from my camera folder, there’s plenty steps missing in between. I’ll try to remember to take more pictures next time i’m airbrushing vehicles.

Since it's carrying my commanding officer I decided early on that i’d customise it and put some additional reactive or ablative armor on it to represent the higher A and additional DP

I cut the part of the hinge that i wanted to keep with a scalpel black, i dremeled any remains on the trailer part away, drilled holes into the top and bottom part for steel wire and replaced the cylindrical section with a piece of brass tube. The original connection got some 1,5x1mm cylindrical magnets. The picture also has the first attempt at extra armor on it, milled from 0,5mm polystyrene. The nose is just a piece of L shaped polystyrene profile glued between the prongs on the front.

Here’s a first try for the modifications of the rear section, to see how it fits around existing detail and to check it it would fit under a dropship.

A second revsion of the rear section with greeble bits from a hind kit and a machinge gun set loosely in place. There’s also armor skirts i experimented with but in the end i went with something close to the first version.

I gave everything a coat of black primer, mainly see how the rear section looked in a single colour.
In this version it also has a more fragile hinge for the antenna that i ended up milling out and replacing with something sturdier.

This is what my scheme looks right after airbrushing. After zenithal priming i spray it light grey, put coarse, open pore foam over it and then spray dark grey, the result is the soft cell pattern or whatever you’d call it.

Here it got a light wash and glaze to darken it a bit and pull it together and i started highlighting as well as painting the details.
I use oils for the highlighting on the grey exclusively on this army, german grey highlight by mig to be precise. You can blend, feather, and push it around for hours on end with a little turpentine and easily clean up any mistakes. It’s really fun after getting the hang of it but you have to be very careful not to touch any area you’ve worked on the same day.

The oil paint covers very well but darkens a bit when it dries so you might want to go over some areas again. Getting a feel for how much it’ll darken was part of the learning curve for me but the upside is that if your feathering looks good with the wet paint it’ll blend even better when it’s dry since the contrast will be a bit lower.

And finally, here’s a link to the post with the results, along with some gifs of the moving parts:
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... =40#p58019

I hope this is somewhat helpful and i’d be happy to answer any questions or to provide detail photos of the finished thing.

MajorMcNicol

Re: Kodiak Walkthrough

PostSat Nov 14, 2015 1:33 am

Impressive, excellent work, sir! Thanks for posting this!
instagram.com/whateverimsealingit

Wargaming Plog: https://andygomez.wordpress.com/

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross.

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 10:53 am

Awesome tutorial and beautifully executed.

I really like the idea with the brass tube. I did the connection the old fashioned way with magnets ... Doesn't look as good.

Did you remove the launchers on the doomfridge and put silos on there? nice idea!

How about some more pics of your army.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Anthony056

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 11:11 am

Fantastic stuff!
Could you please post a pic of a link to an image of the foam you used as a mask for painting the grey?

Bistromatic

Hawk Talon

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 8:04 pm

Thanks y'all!

The Ferrum indeed got a Vertical Launch System since i didn't like the original launchers all that much and they made it very difficult to grab the tower in dry-fits.

A thread in the painting blog forum also has been on my today list.

The foam is at work together with the rest of my airbrushing stuff since we have an actual spray booth there. I'm currently taking a few days off but i can snap a pic when i get back.

Bistromatic

Hawk Talon

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 6:54 am

I did snap an image of the foam, towards the edges is the original colour.

Also until i get around to making a thread here, there's my exotic infantry in the german thread: http://www.dropzone-commander.de/forum/index.php/topic,217.msg1573.html#msg1573

Return to Blogs and Tutorials