It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:09 pm

Choosing a DZC Force, Part 3: The PHR

Infiltrate and sabotage the enemies highest ranks. Fight for the White Sphere
  • Author

DropzoneCommenter

Choosing a DZC Force, Part 3: The PHR

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 8:44 am

If you've been thinking about picking up The PHR as your army of choice, you might enjoy this article which is meant as an introduction for new players.
Check my biweekly blog on tactics, hobby, and fundamentals in DZC and DFC at dzcommenter.com!

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

Re: Choosing a DZC Force, Part 3: The PHR

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 9:21 am

Perfect article on why PHR is SOOOOOOOOOOO popular and not so good in a novices hands.

DropzoneCommenter

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 9:23 am

Thanks, @feindusmaximus

Anything to add that we missed?
Check my biweekly blog on tactics, hobby, and fundamentals in DZC and DFC at dzcommenter.com!

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 10:35 am

DropzoneCommenter wrote:Thanks, @feindusmaximus

Anything to add that we missed?

Not at all. You write to get people interested in trying the game, which is good. You stay away from telling people what/how to play.

Creeping Dementia

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 7:44 pm

Good read and a pretty good summary of how the faction plays.
The only thing that turned my head and didn't mesh with my experience was the part at the end about PHR being a top tier army due to how they do in tournaments. While I do agree that PHR are possibly the most popular army and have the most admissions into tourneys, they don't usually place very high. That honor tends to go to Shaltari and Scourge with the occasional Resistance showing up at the top.
Thats just been tournaments I've seen personally or have read about, so isn't going to cover everything.

PHR are the most eye catching faction, to be honest I don't think I would have gotten into DzC without them. None other factions really hit the spot for me.

Vaktathi

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Great Writeup :D

DropzoneCommenter

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 am

Vaktathi wrote:Great Writeup :D

Thanks!

Weidekuh

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 6:25 am

Very good article!

Still i would add somewhere, that the PHR is a hard army to play. You just kinda hinted at it, but i don't think a new player realizes it.
Resistance & Shaltari

DropzoneCommenter

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 7:29 am

Weidekuh wrote:Very good article!

Still i would add somewhere, that the PHR is a hard army to play. You just kinda hinted at it, but i don't think a new player realizes it.

I honestly don't think they are that hard an army to play for newbies, so much as they play to a more standard wargame mentality (kill everything, don't get killed yourself). Scourge is a hard army to play, too - esp if you're coming out of that same mentality and getting frustrated when you get shot off the table. Shaltari are great - but I also think they are master-class level of complexity if played per the rules (since nearly everything is different about them), which makes them hard for newbies, too.

I know many here in the forum has their clear opinions that PHR is seriously disadvantaged and need all these fixes, but our experience in playing does not line up with that thinking. Our PHR player has been beast mode for a while, and he'd never played a wargame before DZC. In the end, I want folks to play and learn what they like and to inform people as best I see, not choose their forces for them. If you like how it looks, and it's fun to paint and play, there's no real going wrong. IMO of course :)

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 8:21 am

Another beautiful article, very well written.

DropzoneCommenter wrote:In the end, I want folks to play and learn what they like and to inform people as best I see, not choose their forces for them.

Absolutely true - good way to go!

DropzoneCommenter wrote:I know many here in the forum has their clear opinions that PHR is seriously disadvantaged and need all these fixes,[...].

I think they are fine the way they are, but still one of the most difficult to play - not because of the rules but because of the way they are played.

I started with UCM, a little bit Shaltari, then Scourge and now PHR because I like that they are a difficult and unforgiving army (and because I love Appleseed & Ghost in the Shell :lol: )

here are some of our observations - which might differ from yours - but might be worth mentioning.
(I will assume that you are facing a skilled and experienced opponent)

- Against a skilled opponent (see above ;) ) every deployment needs to be perfect, because every inch counts and needs to be in sync with the rest of the army.

- Shooting or redeployment – Many people have a hard time to forego a round of shooting to take up a more advantageous position, which has to be a vital part of a PHR battle plan.

- They are very predictable. Once you dropped your heavies (in this case Type 2’s) - they will (usually) move 12” over the entirety of the game. The enemy just needs a ruler and he will know where they’ll be at the end of the game – another reason why redeployment is vital.

- Easily avoided – why fight type 2’s and 4’s when you can just as easily avoid them. Bad players will try to slug it out with you - good players just will just avoid your heavies, slow them down and run with the objectives.

- No Alpha Strike – If you play PHR you usually have to weather the enemy fire before you are able to shoot back.

There are a couple more points, but they actually derive from the way we play.

DropzoneCommenter wrote:I honestly don't think they are that hard an army to play for newbies, so much as they play to a more standard wargame mentality (kill everything, don't get killed yourself).

I agree - they are very straightforward!! But for me - I have a much harder time winning with PHR, than with UCM, Shaltari or Scourge (maybe I just suck at playing with them) - but I really like them the way they are.

DropzoneCommenter wrote:If you like how it looks, and it's fun to paint and play, there's no real going wrong. IMO of course :)

+1 :!: :!:

The most important thing you said.

Thanks again for the well written article
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...
Next

Return to PHR - Army Lists and Tactics