It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 2:58 pm

PHR - new player - Advice on Ships

Infiltrate and sabotage the enemies highest ranks. Fight for the White Sphere
  • Author

EvilMonkeyLord

Re: PHR - new player - Advice on Ships

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

In the mean time I have almost build all ships, but I am also trying to buy some of the PHR freebees of one of the local guys (1 additional cruiser and 8 additional frigates). I am tempted to go for another Orpheus or Ganymede, build 2x medea and I am tempted to use the remaining frigates as a base for Corvette conversions.

This is what I decided to build cruiser wise:

2x Leonidas / Scipio (haven't glued the broadside weapons on yet, one will defenitely be a scipio, the other I will decide later. I addition, I only used 2 out of 4 gravity fins on the topside and two regular plastic ones in the bootom). The remaining two sets of resin fines where used on the 2x Bellerophon, which makes him signficantly bigger and stand out compared to normal cruisers)
2x Bellerophon
2x Orpheus
2x Ganymede
1x Theseus
1x Ikarus
The two lighter cruiser give me more flexibility to create lists

I am still waiting for my first game.

[Edit1] @ JD Welch, how did the turnie go for you?
[Edit2] I just love the looks of the PHR frigates, and in the first couple of games I will play, I will defenitely use multiples of them.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 2:55 am

The tournament was a lot of fun, thanks!

I ended up in Fourth, so didn't manage to complete the Arizona sweep we were shooting for. The guy I beat in the second round took Third, which is frustrating, but it's what happens in the 20-0 scoring system a lot of times, so I'm cool with it.

Everyone else was fairly inexperienced, but lots of nicely painted fleets! I just wish that I could remember that I have a camera in my phone, and so a camera in my pocket all the frigging time!. But, oh, well... :)

I managed to knock my friend, Andrew (Major Awesome) out of First Place, which wasn't my intention at all, but our 10-10 draw coupled with James' 20-0 win in Round 3 caused Andrew to take Second to James' First Place.

Lots of fun, and great to hang out with Dave again. The next day I was feeling it, and almost didn't play in the Dropzone tournament, but ended up winning that (also with PHR -- no Medusa, tho), so I'm very happy about that!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

EvilMonkeyLord

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 4:36 pm

It has been almost 6 weeks since I last posted, and I have been busy in the mean time.

First I finished building my PHR fleet, and all but 2 frigates and 1 Battleships have been painted in the mean time (That is 22 frigates painted, 4 Corvettes, 8 Cruisers and 2 Battle cruisers). When I finished building the fleet, I used the bits to convert some Echo's, and got some positive response how they turned out (very PHR-ish).

In addition I also managed to play some games! About 9 days ago, I played a practice game (999pnts PHR on PHR) and last weekend I participated in The Netherlands first DFC Tournament.

When I was painting, I first focussed on the 999 pnts list I had foreseen to use. But painting progressed quickly (the lovely models kept me motivated) I decided to use a different list.

This was the list I had settled for:
    --------------------------------------
    PHR 999p v1 Arnhem - 999pts
    PHR - 6 launch assets

SR10 Vanguard battlegroup (180pts)
    1 x Bellerophon - 180pts - H
       + Fleet Vizier (20pts, 2AV)

SR12 Line battlegroup (338pts)
    1 x Orpheus - 130pts - M
    1 x Orpheus - 130pts - M
    2 x Medea - 78pts - L

SR9 Line battlegroup (251pts)
    1 x Theseus - 89pts - M
    2 x Andromeda - 84pts - L
    2 x Medea - 78pts - L

SR5 Pathfinder battlegroup (210pts)
    3 x Pandora - 150pts - L
    2 x Echo - 60pts - L
    ------------- dflist.com -------------

Compared to my foreseen list, I dropped the 2nd Bellorophon for a Theseus and some Andromeda's (I wanted to test them both). In addition, I dropped a Pandora to fit two Echo's.

The practice game really helped me a lot to get a better feeling of the game. Especially the planning of activitions in the next phase adds a for me very interesting tactical element to the game.

My impression it is a quite alround list where all elements can work together quite well (I didn't face Shaltari). I was really pleased with the strategy ratings and how I could use my SR in the planning phase to my advantage, with the different approach types for each scenario.

[EDIT] Tried to copy in a picture of the Echo (from pinterest) but failed...

EvilMonkeyLord

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 5:03 pm

During my first practice game, I played against a fellow Dutchman (who I will call 'S'); He also plays PHR (and has scourge planned similar to me), and he even attended the beast of war Bootcamp in december.

The list he used:
    SR13- Hector + 3x Europa
    SR9 - Theseus + 2x Calypso + 2x Echo
    SR7 - Ikarus + 2x Medea
    SR9 - Ganymede + 2x Medea + 2x Echo

There are several big differences between our lists:
He has only brought one BTL (on Hector), less Strike Carriers (2 on ikarus vs my 6) and only 1 Troopship. When you look at the differences between our lists, it means that I get 1 or 2 additional shots with my BTL (the flash rule really has a positive effect on my list) before he is able to use his broadsides. Secondly, he out-echo-ed me, meaning i should be carefull in my approaches with my Medea. Two Echo's normally do not kill a Medea in one round when I dropped in Atmos, so i had some planning to do to make that happen. Whenever He would dive into Atmos, I had 3 cruisers which are quite good at shooting them anyways (the broadsides on the Orpheus and Theseus), as well as my lower SR on my echos, where I could move in for the kill first.

The game was a great learning experience, seeing the balance in special orders (like max thrusting) and the downside to it. We had a lot of fun (as it was also his first game since his bootcamp) and the game ended a solid win for me. (we played 5 turns in 3.75 hours of time, mainly due to not being experts and looking up some specific rules in the rulebook).

Nicius

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am

Now those two lists look awefully familiar :D . I guess I played you both in the Tournament (I was the dutch UCM player).

Looking at your list from across the table, I think it is very solid. I have surprising punch with all those small lasers on the Pandora's and the Orpheus.

I'm a bit on the fence about the two Echo's though. With all those light caliber broadsides you have, I don't think your really need them that much. I'm not sure if you killed one of my strike carriers with them, since most of them were lost in low orbit (my bad handling to blame I guess). Wouldn't your rather have another Pandora or Andromeda from those points? I'm having the same issues with my Santiago's. I'm unsure if they're really worth it and if I'm not better of with a couple of Toulons for a first strike in low orbit, followed by fishing for 6's in atmo.

all-in-all, we had a great game, even though I lost very badly. We really must play again sometime!

EvilMonkeyLord

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 9:51 pm

Nicius wrote:Now those two lists look awefully familiar :D . I guess I played you both in the Tournament (I was the dutch UCM player).

I know who you are :-)

Nicius wrote: I'm a bit on the fence about the two Echo's though. With all those light caliber broadsides you have, I don't think your really need them that much. I'm not sure if you killed one of my strike carriers with them, since most of them were lost in low orbit (my bad handling to blame I guess). Wouldn't your rather have another Pandora or Andromeda from those points?

I wanted to test the Echos, and you are right about the light caliber weapons; Each will not guarantee a kill on a strike carrier in atmos, but combined they have a much better chance. To be honest, I really like my list as it currently stands, but I intend to try other ships as well.

Nicius wrote:I'm having the same issues with my Santiago's. I'm unsure if they're really worth it and if I'm not better of with a couple of Toulons for a first strike in low orbit, followed by fishing for 6's in atmo.

At 999 you have to make some tough choices, and I think either solution has its benefits and drawbacks. In higher point value games, 1250/1500 they can both make the list.

Nicius wrote:vall-in-all, we had a great game, even though I lost very badly. We really must play again sometime!
I agree, it was an amazing game; and if you want a rematch, let me know!

Nicius

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:48 pm

That rematch will definitely happen sir! But first I have to start building 1250 point lists in preparation for next tournament.
Previous

Return to PHR - Fleet Lists and Tactics