It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 2:47 pm

1250 for Tournament on Sunday

Help your brothers take back the Cradle Worlds!
  • Author

NickSkills

1250 for Tournament on Sunday

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Okay, here is what I am taking to Lyraeus's tournament on Sunday:

UCM 1250 - 1250pts
UCM - 6 launch assets

SR20 Vanguard battlegroup (368pts)
1 x Atlantis - 205pts - H
   + UCM Captain (20pts, 2AV)
1 x Moscow - 163pts - H

SR10 Line battlegroup (176pts)
2 x New Cairo - 176pts - M

SR8 Line battlegroup (207pts)
1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L
1 x New Orleans - 32pts - L

SR5 Line battlegroup (132pts)
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR8 Pathfinder battlegroup (207pts)
1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L
1 x New Orleans - 32pts - L

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (140pts)
4 x Toulon - 140pts - L
------------- dflist.com -------------

This list contains every single drop asset I have put together. I am excited to try out that vanguard group- on weapons free, it is cranking out around 10 damage, not including close action or bombers. On distant approach, I get all my drop assets, and 4 of my groups on turn one. Why no corvettes? They haven't arrived yet, so I don't have any.

A question for the board: 4 Toulons, or 3 Taipeis and an admiral boost?

I pulled second last time, I will let you know how it goes!

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Re: 1250 for Tournament on Sunday

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 12:39 am

Well overall with what you have I'd say you'll do fine. Might struggle a little if the others go really strike carrier heavy or corvette heavy. Santiago suck but they are great at killing other corvettes.

Not a huge fan of the Atlantis so far but you paired it into my new favourite battlegroup which is a pair of Moscow. Biggest problem for the group in your list is a lack of Limas for it but I'm not sure where to get the points for that. You could drop the Toulons completely but you would then lack the points to do anything meaningful to help the list. If you have Santiago it would be perfect as you could swap the Toulon for 3 of those and a Lima pair but as is I think you are better keeping them.

To your real question, I would keep them as Toulon. Without the command cards the extra admiral level won't help so much. Toulons will give a better chance at catching strike carriers and corvettes before they hit atmosphere. I would be tempted to blast corvettes first if you can since they will be a major sore spot for you if someone has a large group of them. I have not used the Taipeis with much success so far but I'm also a kindda crappy Scourge player too so that might be connected...

Stompzilla

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 am

I agree with Cry of the Wind. Keep the Toulons. Could you swap the Seattle for a Madrid and some Corvettes for a real ground game influencing BG?

NickSkills

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Sadly, I do not have a Madrid built, and as I said, my corvettes are stuck in shipping limbo (along with my battleship).

Stompzilla

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Ah well, it's still a good fleet. Best of luck!

Nicius

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 5:24 pm

looks nice. I've been pondering on the Moscow/Atlantis combo as well, really interested to know how it turns out.
Also, that is a lot of drop assets!

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 8:25 am

I think it's the right amount of Drop assets for 1,250. I played a 1,500 point game tonight that only had two more New Orleans. Echoes chewed up one early, a tactical blunder on my part cost me two more. San Frans were drawing a lot of attention, as I knew they would, and would not have lasted to Turn 6 (we only made it to Turn 3, very late start).

I think this is a solid list, Nick. Best of luck this Sunday. Aim to win the Athens!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Nicius

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 10:09 am

It looks like an awefull lot of Drop assets to me, but our meta is just forming so I don't have a really good feel for how much drop assets to bring. Last 999 points tournament I got away with 5 strike carriers and a SanFran though.

Really interested to hear how this list plays.

NickSkills

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks for the well wishes guys!

I will let you know how it goes.

NickSkills

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:00 am

Tied for second place!
1st game was against PHR( he had a battleship, 2 Bellerophons, and only 2 troop carriers). My weapons free heavy group chewed through his ships, my burn throughs tagged his Assault troopship, I won handily.

2nd game was against Scourge (basilisk, 2 hydras, 2 close action groups). I was ripped limb from limb- my ships died far too fast, and in a bonehead move, i didn't drop with my strike carriers until turn 3, losing me the ground game.

3rd game was scourge again. Dragon, 2 hydras, 2 burn through heavy crusiers, 2 burn through regular crusiders, only 5 gargoyles for drop. This was Moonshot, one of my favorite scenarios. I won with my superior drop capability as we traded ship for ship.

How was the Atlantis+Moscow combo? Good, but fragile. You can't rush ahead too far with it, or it'll get splatted after one turn of firing.

Was this enough drop? Yes. I outdropped everyone, enabling me to get tons of sweet, sweet points.

How was the toulon group? Surprisingly good. They ran out on turn 2 to blow up strike carriers, and then harassed bigger ships.

Weaknesses? Twin Hydras mess up my day. I don't know how I would fight that.
Next

Return to UCM - Fleet Lists and Tactics