It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:08 am

PHR Hades

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

Sholto

PHR Hades

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 8:57 am

(EDIT: further detail pics in the posts below)

I assembled my PHR Hades last night, and thought I would share the pics and some thoughts on how I went about it.

The goals were to have a Hades that could be attached to a Poseidon dropship, but that would also look good by itself on the battlefield.

In order to attach to the Poseidon there are two requirements. The 'knees' of all six legs have to line up with the corresponding sockets on the underbelly of the Poseidon, and the scorpion tail has to lie flush with the spine of the Hades. On this last point, the tip of the railgun only just stops short of the flight stand attachment on the belly of the Poseidon, so bear this in mind when test fitting.

1. The scorpion tail and railgun. You want to do this first, as attaching the legs stops you drilling the hinge at the base of the scorpion tail. This part has two stages:

a. The base of the scorpion tail. The tail joins the main hull with what looks like a hinge joint. However, this hinge joint will not hold by friction alone, and if you glue it flat your Hades' main gun will never rise threateningly above the battlefield, whereas if you glue it raised it will not fit under the Posiedon.

The answer (well, the one I found) was to turn this pretend hinge joint into the real thing. Drill a hole through the dead centre of the joint on the tail section. Now attach the tail section to the main hull and pivot it up and down. You will see that the two pieces do not hinge perfectly on a common axis. But they are close enough! Put the tail about half-raised and, holding it in place, use the holes you already made in the tail section to drill through the hull part of the hinge. You can now slide a metal rod (such as a 0.8mm paper clip, if you used a 0.8mm drill bit) through the hinge. Do not glue! Enjoy moving the tail up and down for a bit. It is cool.

b. The railgun. The railgun comes in two parts - the gun itself and a small circular mounting piece. This needs magnets and a metal washer to work. On the small, circular mounting piece, cut off the half-circle that projects upwards. Take it right off. Sand it flush, and glue the metal washer on. Now glue the mounting piece itself (washer and all) into the tail section.

On the railgun itself, there is a socket that corresponds to the half-circle you just cut off the other bit. Your magnets go in here - I used two 6x2mm magnets, side by side so that half of each magnet projects out below. If you cannot visualise it, imagine them as truck wheels. I also used some greenstuff to ensure a good seat for them. Once the greenstuff and glue have set you can try it out. If you used strong magnets they will hold the railgun in any position you like, while the tail still goes up and down. It is now getting extremely cool.

Pull the pin out the tail section now. The tail and gun section will spoil the balance of the hull for the next bit, so you want to remove them and set them aside. Don't worry, once the legs go on it will look like you cannot get the pin back in. You can. Just be patient, use a steady hand (needle nose pliers are better, though) and trim down your pin if you need to. It will go back in.

2. Lining up the legs. This is simple. First of all, instal magnets in the Poseidon and in the legs of the Hades. Do not glue the legs onto the body of the Hades! Lay the Poseidon on its back. Now attach each leg to its corresponding magnet in the Poseidon. You now have all the legs in the right place, so all you do now is put a drop of glue in the leg sockets on the main hull of the Hades and work it into place. The magnets will hold the legs steady while you do this. Apply some pressure, two opposing sets of legs at a time, until the superglue sets (which should only be a few seconds). Congrats, your Hades now lines up perfectly with the Poseidon. Let the superglue cure, then separate the Hades from the Poseidon, turn it right side up and glue the feet on. You might need a tiny bit of greenstuff in each foot-joint to ensure each foot lies perfectly flat.

Re-attach the tail (see above) and you're good to go.
Last edited by Sholto on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guard

Re: PHR Hades

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks for the information, I aim to get a Hades in the near future, just waiting to finish what I have first

BTW, the terrain boards are really Beautiful as well

Imm0rtal

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Do you have any shots of the insides of the tail modifications you did? I'd like to see how you pinned the turret to the tail.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

Sholto

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 9:33 pm

This is a close-up of the pin in the base of the tail. To give you some context, the model is upside down:

This one shows how the gun is magnetized and how it attaches to the tail:

And here it is being transported aboard the Poseidon, with some other models for company:

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 9:21 am

how did you attach the flight stand under the hades? drilled a hole?

Sholto

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 9:56 am

In a word, yes. A 3mm hole drilled in the belly.

Imm0rtal

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 12:11 pm

What was the size of the washer and magnets in the tail?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

Sholto

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 12:21 pm

I mentioned the size of the magnets in the first post, but I couldn't tell you the size of the washer. I just picked up a load of them from my "stash of random crap" and the first one I tried fit perfectly!

Bellerophon

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 12:41 pm

That is genius. I really like the washer idea.

As an aside, what size magnets do you use for the legs and for dropzone stuff in general?

Sholto

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 1:08 pm

I use 2x1mm neodymium (N52). I got them from Ebay in a pack of 50 for £3.80. Still have about 15 left, I think.
Next

Return to Painting and Modelling