It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Panther!

With diplomacy and alien technology, annihilate everyone!
  • Author

Stompzilla

Panther!

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 8:45 am

I got my first game in with the Panther yesterday. :D

He is totally bent and I completely love him. :twisted: So, as those who have maybe followed Darios' and I's threads concerning tournament list evolution, or just play a lot of Shaltari themselves will know, the one thing that is always a struggle with the Hogs is against heavy air. It generally means that I have to play quite conservatively in the early game and keep my Jaguars tight to my more vulnerable units and keep them out of harms way wherever possible (Since they are my primary AA). This often leads to lots of wasted shots in an army that is already chronically short of shots and often quite pillowfisted.

The Panther changes all that. We broke ourselves in to the new missions by playing the secure the flanks variant that has critical locations rather than focal points. (Great mission!). My regular opponent fields a very heavy air oriented Allied Resistance list that features a number of Hellhogs and AA sporting Lifthawks which has always caused me much trouble. How sweet it was to see those heavy fliers have to hide and be cautious rather than dominate my back field with relative impunity.

It went something like this:

Turn 1: Walked on, straight up blew the Zhukovs' lifthawk out of the sky killing one in the fireball.
Turn 2: Shuffled a bit and nuked a Hellhog
Turn 3: teleported across the table to get LOS onto resistance fighter's lifthawk lingering around the central objective building.
Turn 4: Didn't get the lifthawk but forced my opponent to activate his fighters first and move his lifthawk away, allowing me to get the first "real" activation of the turn. Teleported late in the turn to get a bead on a second Hellhog that was now being a LOT more cautious than his wingmate.
Turn 5: Again, forced the Hellhog to activate first (I only have cv2 so never win the roll off), reaction fired and put 2 dp on it.
Turn 6: A Jag took the Hellhog's last DP while the Panther nuked a Gunwagon sitting on the Critical location, allowing me space to deploy a Totem and outscore the Kraken holding it.

A real game changer for the Hogs. I really, really, really love this guy (And the new mission). He allowed me to dictate the pace of the game and really get aggressive with my other warstriders. His kill output was impressive (Although I don't expect it to be so good next time - lessons have been learned) but that's not where his value really lies. Despite a low CV, it felt like I nearly always had the first useful activation and was able to leverage my abilities to control the pace and flow of the game.

Utterly brutal learning experience for both of us and a big hat tip to my opponent for being such a great sport. Massive 20-0 win for the hogs with something like a 12-1 vp difference and 1,390+ kps to the hogs. :o

Lorn

Hawk Talon

Re: Panther!

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 9:36 am

Against Resistance and PHR with their A6 flyers the Panther should be most noticable, against other Shaltari or against stuff with evasive or multiple small targets it should be less impressive.

Darios speculated that it is also suited to hunt Shaltarie heavy skimmers.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

Stompzilla

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 9:39 am

The Caimen is definintely going to hate the panther. :twisted:

Stompzilla

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 10:11 am

Lets not forget the Desolator, Harbinger and Overlord. :twisted:

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 10:52 am

jup. will try him when i get him. For now i don't see him in my current lists (but okay... i'm on the "whacky stuff" trip at the moment.... will post some more musing and updates to my thread now rec 2 is uot there...

butn nice to hear he is working well... so we should watch out for OB Dan to eventually come over here and scream "bullsh**" at the Capslock tune...

ZombieState

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 11:08 am

I won't call it here, but there is a review section coming soon which oooooozes my opinion... ;)
Orbital Bombardment

Visit the blog and podcast! http://www.dzcblog.blogspot.com
Email us at obteamdzc@gmail.com
Tweet and follow us at @OBDZC

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 11:55 am

ZombieState wrote:I won't call it here, but there is a review section coming soon which oooooozes my opinion... ;)

wait... what? did i just by force of pure type-o-will summon you, foul creature? Go beack to your jelly-hell where you belong *hushhush*

*ahem*... so we just pretend nothing happend and move on...

as lornn stated i also see use for it in hunting Caimans and stuff like it. But i'm still not sure it will make the cut in a tournament army... depneds on the creep of A6 multi DP fliers really

Stompzilla

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 12:10 pm

It makes the cut in my tournament army, which you will likely see in Sept. ;)

It's main value comes not from smashing A6 from the sky (As satisfying as that is) but from shutting down your opponent's mobility, further increasing your own and helping to dictate the pace of the game.

It really doesn't matter if you're shooting 4DP A6 fliers or 1DP A4 fliers, if it's what allows you to out-maneuver your opponent and win the game.

I've another game tomorrow against a super tough PHR army that doesn't have a whole lot of fliers over 1DP that are worth shotting out and features 2 Type 4s, a pair of Odins AND a Medusa :o :!:

I'll let you guys know how I get on.

Mike Mee

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 12:35 pm

The new Shaltari stuff almost makes me regret parting ways with Shaltari.

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 1:24 pm

Stompzilla wrote:It makes the cut in my tournament army, which you will likely see in Sept. ;)

unrelated: i'm afraid i wont as i will not make ti to invasion this year due to job and real life. Lorn will be there though.
Next

Return to Shaltari - Army Lists and Tactics