It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 pm

Lorns Guide to PHR or German Space Magic

Infiltrate and sabotage the enemies highest ranks. Fight for the White Sphere
  • Author

Lorn

Hawk Talon

Re: Lorns Guide to PHR or German Space Magic

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 9:30 am

Does not fit my list and playstyle. I think a limited number of relatively static elements is ok, for example in my list the 2 Phobos can at least a backfield focal point and the Hades can reach 1 mid Focal point. But 2 Type 4 walkers are not my thing, as it makes you far less flexible and forces a good deal of your army and AT in a predictable movement pattern.
Also it is a waste to play it like I play my Zeus, mostly hiding behind the Odin and shuttling them to a focal point in T6.

I take the Hades for it´s versatility, it can destroy big targets and multiple small targets at a great range and has the Nanomachines, bringing a template and healing. The Nemesis does only decent single target damage and limited multi target damage, Though I am reluctant to call the Nemesis underpowered as I dislike it and thus never even tried it. It is still a model with 8DP and some decent AT power, and it is unfair to compare it to the Hades as it competes with the Zeus. There the playing field is pretty even, though the Zeus is better suited for big commanders in my opinion.

As a lot of things it really depends on the opponent, if you face a lot of big stuff like the Hovercrafts or Human Tanks it is certainly more useful then the Zeus.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

German space magic for all and this time it is in Space!
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10506

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 5:27 am

Fair enough. Good analysis.

My problem in my meta is a proliferation of Ocelots, so the Nemesis is more survivable in that respect. Although anyone concentrating on it can take it out. Kodiaks and Apollo blobs that get an early Countermeasures Hack are particularly troublesome, as are Hunters and an aggressive Oppressor used in concert.

Having said that, I've had relatively good success taking out a Zeus with various units, including a Nemesis and a Thunderstorm Custom. If my opponent doesn't place the Odin/Hyperion bodyguard just so I can bypass the shunting of hits to it, and the more high E hits I can get on a Zeus the better its chances of failing a 3+ Passive save.

But I understand your reasons for eschewing the Nemesis in favor of the Zeus with your playstyle. Thanks for the response and the edification.

Do you have another faction that you play, or are considering? (I highly recommend Allied Resistance... It's a very different playstyle from PHR, with a lot of variety and capabilities...)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 6:46 am

J.D. Welch wrote:
Do you have another faction that you play, or are considering? (I highly recommend Allied Resistance... It's a very different playstyle from PHR, with a lot of variety and capabilities...)

i can answer that (as his most regular opponent): actually lorn owns some 2k-3k or above of every faction except Shaltari so far... with the main Focus beeing Scourge

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 8:17 am

Darios wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:

i can answer that (as his most regular opponent): actually lorn owns some 2k-3k or above of every faction except Shaltari so far... with the main Focus beeing Scourge

Ah. But it seems like we only ever hear him giving advice on how to play PHR. Maybe I'm just not remembering other comments on other factions... Thanks.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 8:41 am

J.D. Welch wrote:
Darios wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:

Ah. But it seems like we only ever hear him giving advice on how to play PHR. Maybe I'm just not remembering other comments on other factions... Thanks.

I guess that's because he somehow made it "his cause" to prove RHR are not that subpar if the player knows what he is doing... no one actually hollered about scourge or resistance so much... besides it is his main tournament army (because when we started doing tournaments back in 2014, Scourge were at a disadvantage with the despoiler not beeing able to contribute... thus he choose PHR, and then stuck with it til they got "beaten" but that was actually not a loss per se... the best anyone could come up with so far in a tournament game was a draw... in the end i only ended up 1st because of other matches and TP) Taking PHR to Invasion was deliberate, just to show: Jup you can totally win with PHR. So that's why he didn't go for other factions... guess he'll be fielding more Scourge/UCM or Resistance the next months...

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 9:42 am

Certainly not UCM, I dislike their Air focus.

I did post some stuff about Scourge way back, but it grew exhausting enough to comment PHR as I also have a bit different ideas about Scourge as some popular ones, I liked the Desolator (after the changes that let him score) and dislike the normal Destroyers. Also drive on Hunters though these are popular with some other folks. I can post some list I am toying around with Resistance and Scourge in the respective forums.

Having said that, I've had relatively good success taking out a Zeus with various units, including a Nemesis and a Thunderstorm Custom. If my opponent doesn't place the Odin/Hyperion bodyguard just so I can bypass the shunting of hits to it, and the more high E hits I can get on a Zeus the better its chances of failing a 3+ Passive save.

Yeah the Zeus can die but for 81P (+Commander) you have to invest a lot of points into that, mine died a couple of times but in most cases the bodyguard dies first or soaks the damage with a little help from the Hades. After the bodyguard is dead a little tactical advance away from the enemy might be in order though.

Stompzilla

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am

Lorn wrote:
I did post some stuff about Scourge way back, but it grew exhausting enough to comment PHR as I also have a bit different ideas about Scourge as some popular ones, I liked the Desolator (after the changes that let him score) and dislike the normal Destroyers. Also drive on Hunters though these are popular with some other folks. I can post some list I am toying around with Resistance and Scourge in the respective forums.

I concur. I'm of the same mind and it's often too hard or exhausting to be heard over the din. I think the Desolator is a much better commander than the Opressor, feel that Destroyers are really not an auto conclude and think that Stalkers, Ravagers and Slayers are really good units. I'm also not overly sold on the Raider/Screamer combo after 3 test games and have never really had any bother swatting Reavers from the sky, contrary to much of the "Well known internet wisdom".

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 12:08 am

Slayers give me fits to face as PHR. Yes, I can double them out with a good E11 hit, but I need to HIT them first! This is one reason why I like my Ares so much...

Stalkers are hard nuts to crack, too, at A10, but at only 1DP I don't have to concentrate a lot of shots on each one. But a squad of 3 in a Harbinger with a MAC is a good aggressive squad, and two such squads can be tough to handle, especially if there are also Hunters or Reapers driving up. And Ravagers will keep FMs out of your backfield, or anywhere you want to put them, especially now that they have Wide coherency, which I think they should've had all along. Good luck getting a Hellhog anywhere near a squad of Ravagers and going into hover mode; that's a suicide trip!

I agree that Destroyers aren't necessarily an auto include, at least not anymore, and do not like seeing Eviscerators get into a building I need to be in, or headed towards a building I'm already in.

Reavers can hurt, but I usually bring enough AA to deal with the onesy-twosy squads that I often see. If taken in big numbers and held back/in cover until they can pounce, then they become a big problem.

But, we digress... This is, after all, a PHR thread... :D

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 1:47 pm

Updated with some of the new units. Larger Update on it´s way.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 6:35 am

Lorn wrote:Updated with some of the new units. Larger Update on it´s way.

Yup, need that larger update to cover Critical Locations. The speed factor you talk about in your first post has changed quite a bit -- you can't just plan on arriving at a CL on Turn 6 like you would a Focal Point.

Of course, you're probably on your way to Croydon some time today, if not already, so it will have to wait. :)

Best of luck! Tell us how you do!

PreviousNext

Return to PHR - Army Lists and Tactics