It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:53 am

Fleet Critique

Help your brothers take back the Cradle Worlds!
  • Author

Breacher

Fleet Critique

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 10:53 pm

This isn't meant to be a tournament winning super competitive list; just something I can bash friends with on the weekends. That said, if it's a complete wash what can I do better?

Flag Battlegroup
x1 Beijing Class Battleship - 252 pts
-UCM Commodore - 40 pts
x1 Jakarta Frigate - 32 pts
OR
x1 New York Class Battleship - 260 pts
** not totally sold on either

Vanguard Battlegroup
x2 Moscow Heavy Cruiser - 326 pts
x1 Lima Frigate - 37 pts

Line Battlegroup
x1 San Francisco Cruiser - 111 pts
x 1 Madrid Cruisers - 79 pts
x 2 New Orleans Assault Carriers - 64 pts

Line Battlegroup
x1 San Francisco Cruiser - 111 pts
x 1 Madrid Cruisers - 79 pts
x 2 New Orleans Assault Carriers - 64 pts

Line Battlegroup
x2 Seattle Carriers - 264 pts

Beijing List - 1491 pts
New York List - 1499 pts

I've got literally every ship in the UCM fleet in triplicate. So, if you seen something, so they say, say something. I've also toyed with running an Avalon instead of a battleship. Anyway, cheers in advance and thanks for the constructive input.

Breacher

ghostgundam1

Re: Fleet Critique

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 3:46 am

I've had someone run kind of a list like this against me last weekend, except that he only had one Moscow and then an Avalon in a group by itself. Having that many heavies really made it tough for me to keep anything alive in space. If it was my list, I would drop one of the Sans and pick up another New Orleans and some corvettes so that you have some more tactical options depending on what you are up against. I like the Moscow, but it was much easier for me to take out then the Avalon. I might also drop the Lima and add a Jakarta to the Moscow battlegroup and keep them together when playing unless your opponent doesn't have launch. But it's all trial and error so I would say try what you have and after a game or two change it up until you figure out how you want to play your UCM...... :D

Breacher

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 10:36 am

Thank you for the feedback. One other question, please; which battleship do you lean toward? I'm rather torn about it. The New York compliments the Seattles nicely and the same can be said of the Beijing and the Moscows. The other consideration you've brought up is the 60 or so extra points Id have if I dropped the battleship for the battle cruiser; maybe that's where I could squeeze in a group of corvettes (not a huge fan of the UCM corvettes) and an additional New Orleans without dropping the second San Francisco? I'm reluctant to drop a San Francisco, in spite of availability, because of the defense battery option and the volume of troops it can get to the surface quickly.

Nobody

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Hrm, you need at least one Pathfinder group at that points level.

Not a big fan of double Moscow in one Battlegroup, it's going to activate after just about everything else, but it'll be damn funny when it goes WF.

Personally I'm more a Tokyo guy, but I think the New York has its place. I'm not 100% sold on the Beijing as a Moscow is almost as capable.

swampsheep

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:56 pm

I think the Beijing is the worst of the three BS for UCM. It has no other role than to shoot other ships, but unless you go weapons free it's firepower is at best 50 % better than the corresponding cruiser.

While UCM has the worst fighters and bombers, the New York do carry a launch capacity of 7, a couple of nice torpedoes (which are not amazing in themselves, but since you probably are going to be in major spike most of the game anyways, it has few drawbacks) and even a few supplementary railguns. I think it is a solid choice, and better than the Beijing.

I would also make my case for the Tokyo which I am very much in love with. Especially since you do seem to like bombardment (multiple madrids). It can devastate a sector and while it is approaching, it has plenty of other weapon options - and it's dirt cheap for a battleship.

Looking at the rest of the list, I do fint it a bit one-sided. Your ship-to-ship firepower is focused on the heavies - which also means slow. I would consider including either Rios, Berlins or Toulons to add some faster and more flexible firepower.

Your vanguard battle group is also a weak spot - too many eggs in one basket. I would remove one Moscow and add some more cruiser or frigates as suggested above. I would also add another Lima, it is an amazing ship.

While I am also partial to Madrids, I'm not a great fan of your two line battle groups. I would make the different and specialize them slightly. Troopships are very good for dropping troops to space stations, but a Madrid is no use around a space station. If you add the Tokyo I would remove a Madrid and add another ship-to-ship fighting ship like Rio, Berlin or a group of Toulons.

I'm no great fan of the Seattle as UCM launch assets are the worst in the game, but if you do not include the New York, it might be a good choice to get at least some launch assets.
http://linkedbroadsides.com - My blog with analysis, tactics and thoughts about dropfleet. Updates weekly, mostly on Mondays.

Breacher

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks very much for the feedback. I'll tinker a bit with my list and figure out some adjustments.

Return to UCM - Fleet Lists and Tactics