It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:42 pm

bad UCM?

Help your brothers take back the Cradle Worlds!
  • Author

Takxis

bad UCM?

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 12:22 am

i have a friend who has a UCM fleet and he has always complained that they are vastly underpowered for their cost. and he has lost most games we play (i have Shaltari) so last night we swaped and i won with by 2 points with his UCM, however i had no fleet left just ships in atmo and ground forces. i did make a few tactical errors (being use to Shaltari) but evn though i won, just, he still thinks they are no good. what advice can you give him? next week we plan to play again him PHR and me his UCM again (last time we did this me PHR i won). he is on the verge of dropping his UCM and going something else, i just think he is playing them wrong. (as well as i personally feel the scoring give way to much focus to ground control and not enough on space control)

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Re: bad UCM?

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 3:33 am

We've been talking about it on FB and I really do feel that UCM vs Shaltari is the worst match up for balance right now. Swapping forces once isn't going to show much as you both need to learn the new factions ins and outs first. Depending on the approach type I either go Max Thrust or Silent Running as a UCM player vs Shaltari on the first turns.

I would say UCM are fine as a faction and have few internal balance issues compared to most factions (fewer useless ships) but they will always struggle against Shaltari. Tournament I went to this past weekend my UCM came in 2nd place with the Shaltari I faced at the top table taking 1st. I was able to make in a minor loss but was struggling the entire time and did make at least one fairly big mistake turn 2.

Without knowing the fleets used I would make the broad suggestion of playing very aggressive when you have a deployment that gives your fleet soon and be very cautious on ones where you come in piecemeal as the Shaltari scan and sig advantage is amplified with ships coming on staggered.

Shikatanai

Re: bad UCM?

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Cry of the Wind wrote:We've been talking about it on FB and I really do feel that UCM vs Shaltari is the worst match up for balance right now. Swapping forces once isn't going to show much as you both need to learn the new factions ins and outs first. Depending on the approach type I either go Max Thrust or Silent Running as a UCM player vs Shaltari on the first turns.

I would say UCM are fine as a faction and have few internal balance issues compared to most factions (fewer useless ships) but they will always struggle against Shaltari. Tournament I went to this past weekend my UCM came in 2nd place with the Shaltari I faced at the top table taking 1st. I was able to make in a minor loss but was struggling the entire time and did make at least one fairly big mistake turn 2.

Without knowing the fleets used I would make the broad suggestion of playing very aggressive when you have a deployment that gives your fleet soon and be very cautious on ones where you come in piecemeal as the Shaltari scan and sig advantage is amplified with ships coming on staggered.

I agree that UCM vs Shaltari is the worst matchup concerning balance. Imho a UCM does not play for a win here if the Shaltari knows what he is doing and is bringing a solid list. The main issue is that Shaltari pretty much ignore the biggest strengths of UCM, the scanning and thus strong firststrikes and also have the best defense against BTLs once you engage. The main issue is that Shaltari can sit back when bringing a solid ground force and just force the UCM into positions where you can take the first strikes due to high Scan and low Sig.

Return to UCM - Fleet Lists and Tactics